Bath is running, so I have 5 minutes to bash out a quick guide to buying perfumes either for yourself or as a gift. Perfumes and after-shaves sell more at this time of the year nearing Christmas than any other and its no wonder as there are some fantastic offers! However, before you buy just remember a few tips.
- Every perfume has a top, middle and base note. Whilst the top is most powerful, its the base note that makes the lasting impression, so always wait a while after testing to see how it lies on your skin, as this will be the scent you are left with.
- Never test more than 2–3 fragrances a day. You will get a headache, as your sense of smell becomes over-stimulated.
- Do not use those cardboard strips to test perfume, they do not give a true indication of what a fragrance will smell like. Only ever test on your skin as the warmth will affect the notes.
- As above, only apply fragrance to wear your body naturally heats up. I.e behind back of knees, elbows, wrists or a dab behind your ears. This will give a slower release and your scent will last longer.
- Layering different scents is not sexy. Stick to one scent only – the only exception is single note fragrances which can be layered.
- For a cheap DIY fragrance set, buy unscented body lotion, oil and bubble bath and simply add a few drops of your favourite fragrance.
- Never buy a fragrance because it smells great on your friend. Chances are it will smell completely different on yourself.
- Always accept graciously any perfume samples given, they're fab for travel.
- I do sometimes take those cardboard strips and spray testers, but only to put in my underwear drawer, this is a great tip to keep your undies smelling gorgeous.
- Finally store perfume away from direct sunlight and try to keep in a cool dark cupboard. This will ensure your fragrance stays in its best condition.
So hope you liked. My bath is run now! I'm off for some pampering time….