Sunday 15 September 2013

The best secret retreat in Essex - Agape Cottage

The last few years have been an emotional rollercoaster for me both physically and mentally and I think it's now starting to show. I frequently find myself driving to a destination without any recollection of how've I got there, the milk's been put in the cereal cupboard, the credit card in the fridge but it was only whilst mentioning to my friend Sue that I kept seeing imaginary spiders playing hide and seek from the curtains that she advised me to take some time out. I think she is right, after all which mother in her right mind cries at Peppa Pig, has tears streaming down her face whilst repeatedly listening to her daughters CD, The Wanted - Walk Like Rihanna, and has bought and taken the same top back to New Look 3 times (shopaholic out of control). So it was only a few weeks ago when for the umpteenth time whilst wrestling trying to change my duvet cover, when I had another blubbering outburst and asked God to give me a break! The next morning I had an email from Sharon Agate, owner of Agape Cottage offering me the use of her retreat for the night.



Now I've lived in Brentwood all my life but never did I realise that right in the heart of the Essex countryside lies the most wonderful secret hideout and if I did I would have visited ages ago. Like most parents it's mainly time, finding someone to have the kids and motorway driving (phobia - big lorries another story) which prevents me from taking time out at these well publicised spas in other counties. However, I was delighted to find that only a stone's throw from my house lays a sanctuary so discreet (until I wrote this), that only a few people knew about it.



Nestled amongst trees awaits a little slice of heaven to nurture your soul and as you approach Agape cottage you're greeted by the sound of trickling water from the stunning waterfall, an inviting, bubbling hot tub, twinkling fairy lights woven in and out of the trees, freshly filled jars of flowers placed amongst stepping stones and comfy recliners to lie back and watch the stars. A welcoming and warming log cabin greets you cosily decorated with Laura Ashley furniture, muslin white curtains circulating a gentle breeze, jars filled with nuts and dried fruits, a platter of fresh fruit, a fridge filled with icy cold water and a decent bottle of rose, bathroom shelves filled with Liz Earle, Molton Brown and Neals Yards Remedies and even the Pip Studio crockery is beautiful - it is in short paradise.




On the day of my arrival I was greeted by a lovely smile and warmth radiating from my host Sharon Agates. She told me how she had opened up this woman's only retreat back in January as wanted to offer somewhere which would give restoration and peace to anyone who was stressed, suffering from grief or just simply shattered. Agape meaning God's love would be an environment where women could come to simply be loved, cared for and nurtured. Whilst she offers counselling and aromatherapy massage, her real passion is juicing and we started the evening off with an amazing ginger, celery and red pepper juice. This was followed by a delicious home -made meal of pasta, feta cheese, chicken and fennel, fresh berries which was gratefully washed down with an ice cold rose wine.



After dinner we took to the hot tub chatting like two old friends and I was given words of encouragement, wisdom and positive thoughts to focus on. The evening rounded off with a blissful one and half hour Full Body and Indian Head Massage using relaxing aromatherapy oils. My plan had been to watch one of the DVDs offered, but the bed was too inviting and as I collapsed into the Tempur mattress, cotton wool enveloped me and off I drifted. The next morning I awoke early (habits from having young children) to the sound of the gentle tumbling waterfall, glimmering through the sunlit trees. Sharon brought me a scrummy breakfast of fruit pancakes, a delicious immune-building juice and a shot of ginger and pineapple to kick-start my day. She also presented me with a gorgeous home-made jasmine candle and some hydrating Himilayan salts.



I have a mind where it doesn't switch off and I think it's my way of coping from past traumatic events, if my mind is active then I can't dwell. However, by the time I had left Agape Cottage it was as though I had been re-born, I felt strangely calm and whilst I'm sure when the kids next fight and school mania begins I'll get stressed, it's reassuring to know there's somewhere once in a blue moon to escape to!



For more information and prices email Sharon@agapecottage.co.ukor visit www.agapecottage.co.uk to view a variety of packages such as the Time Out Package for the stressed and over-worked, Matters of the Heart for loss and grief and the Health Detox Package to cleanse an abused body of toxins.



Thank you so much Sharon, I believe there our times in our walks of life that certain things happen for a reason and this is especially true of people we meet, and the day I was changing the duvet divine intervention took place!



If you have any queries please contact me via molly@askmollybeauty.comor follow me on Twitter @askmollybeauty.



No comments:

Post a Comment