Monday 16 September 2013

Fit for Free!




For the month of September I'm very excited to announce to the readers of Essex Go the launch of #Fit4Free with AskMolly. Now before you roll your eyes this isn't your usual weight-loss feature, in fact I've changed my spell checker to change the word from 'diet' to 'health. There will be no advertising of Celebrity DVD's, gyms, supplements, weight loss clubs, gimmicks, tape-measures and scales are most definitely banned. My aim is to bring to you weekly, small changes in to your lifestyle which anyone from kids, parents and grandparents can do to make them feel fitter and stronger from the inside out. Yes there will be exercises and nutritional advice however, even if you take just one small change from the features to improve your health well then it's a good job done! The idea of the campaign is to reinforce what most of us know that our body is ultimately our pension, and many of the changes can be incorporated into our daily regime without even noticing. All the exercises will be done outside, no equipment bar a park bench required and recipes will be nutritious, quick to make and most importantly cheap!



To help with the campaign I've managed to rope in the very best of Personal Trainers to guide you along the way and a top Essex based Nutrionist as well as 3 volunteers (me included) so now let's go meet the crew!



Dave Davis Personal Trainer



Dave is a fully qualified Personal and Advanced Trainer and a member of The Register of Exercise Professionals. Whilst he works primarily in the Brentwood area he trains clients in various environments from local parks and playing fields, clients own houses and at The Brentwood Centre with Target Fit Training. He also trains clients independently at The Fitness Factory, Brentwood and at London Fields Fitness Studio, Hackney.



His fields of sporting practices include rugby, football, triathlon, martial arts, kickboxing and he's also a qualified Boxercise and Kickboxercise coach. Clients range from those wanting to lose weight and tone up, sports specific training and those who need to pass fitness tests for their jobs.



"I believe that fitness and training should be available to all regardless of experience or fitness levels. Along with this I try to make workouts as varied and as enjoyable as possible for people and


I try and tailor workouts to include the specificity of training towards achieving goals".



More of Dave's work can be seen on www.facebook.com/D2Fit and Twitter @D2Fit. Dave is passionate about improving accessibility of fitness equipment and is currently campaigning to bring more 'outdoor gym parks' into Essex.



Natasha Bartell CNM Dip, BANT Nutritional Therapist & Naturopath



Natasha has an extensive knowledge of nutrition and whilst she not only helps clients with weight problems whether it's to lose or gain weight, she also has a specific field of interest in cholesterol, high blood pressure, hormone related disorders, joint pain, stress as well as intolerances and allergies. Not only does she provide easy mouth-watering recipes, she is also a fully qualified Naturopath which brings a holistic approach to her work as she believes in treating the person as a whole, in mind, body and spirit. For more information on Natasha check out her website www.natashabartell.co.uk.



"The foods you eat have a profound effect upon your health, mood and energy levels, which is why the latest fad diet will make some people thrive and others feel miserable. I am forever in awe of the restorative powers of healthy food and it makes me really happy that I am in a position to be able to pass this knowledge onto others, empowering them to live their lives in the healthiest way possible and in a way that can be sustained for life.




Claire Brew Volunteer 1



Claire describes herself as a "decrepit 44 year old, stay at home mum to an active 3yr old boy & 10yr old girl". However, a little too harsh on herself considering she's had to endure more than what most of us go through in a lifetime. At present she is recovering from delayed reconstructive surgery following from breast cancer and a mastectomy in 2007, so is limited in her physical movements. Prior to surgery she was a regular swimmer as found this the most suitable form of exercise as she also suffers from back problems.



"I know I should eat better, but have never eaten a regular breakfast so tend to get very hungry early evening and I keep picking until the dinners ready, I'd love to get fitter but in a way that fits in with my lifestyle".




Deborah Chaplin Volunteer 2



Deborah has a hectic life, not only is she a single parent with 2 children but also holds down a full time directors job in London leaving her virtually no time for herself, hence she struggles to fit in any form of exercise in to her busy schedule. She suffers from the medical condition Fibromyalgia so has to be specific about exercises she chooses as can sometimes be left in constant pain, although she admits to using this as an excuse not to exercise!



"At 43 I know I really need to sort myself out now before it's too late - you can't continue the trend of just getting bigger - at some point it will catch up with you". "So many excuses to hide behind, where am I meant to find the energy or time"?



Molly Miller Volunteer 3



"20 years of health problems has seen my size fluctuating from a 12 to a 22 and back again. A sufferer of Endometriosis and also Spondylitis around the rib cage and facet joints has given me the excuse of pain equals chocolate. I love to exercise and jog regularly, however, I have to be extremely careful as any twisting movements such as a Boxercise, has in the past resulted in hospital admission.



I live with my 2 young children, cat and goldfish. Life is manic from the moment my alarm clock goes off at 6am and doesn't stop until I hit the pillow at 10pm. I never think about the food I stuff in my mouth, but focus on the quickest and most convenient - which is usually the kids leftovers!



I am also looking for one or two male volunteers of any age or fitness level to participate with #Fit4Free and report in remotely i.e. via email. All that's needed is a weekly email or chat to track your progress, and to follow guidance and advice from the experts. If you're interested contact me on the email address below.



Finally each week I'll be inviting you to send in any questions or indeed tips you may have (some of these will be printed the following week). So I hope you will join myself and the team, and do get twittering #Fit4Free to give some moral support!



Before undertaking any of the exercises shown please consult your GP, whilst our volunteers all have medical issues, where applicable they have been given consultants approval. All queries contact askmollybeauty@gmail.comor via Twitter @askmollybeauty.




Editors Note:


Natasha's Bircher Muesli- this can be made in the evening and kept for 4 days in the fridge. Simply combine the following ingredients for a nutritious start to the day or a snack.



3 handfuls of Oats


250ml Almond Milk


Tablespoon mixed seeds (flaxseeds, pumpkin, linseed, sunflower)


Tablespoon frozen fruits (the darker the fruit the better i.e. blueberries)


Tablespoon walnuts, flaked almonds


Pinch of Cinnamon


1 grated apple


No comments:

Post a Comment