Thursday 18 April 2013

Essex Beauty Group

A few months ago I was sent a tweet by a new company called The Essex Beauty Group, they wanted me to look at their website and within a few minutes of reading it I knew I had to write a feature on their brilliant concept.

The Essex Beauty Group (EBG) was founded by Gemma Norcross and Nesha Wakeling and whilst related by blood as cousins, they also have much more in common in that they also have the same passion to make a difference in the beauty industry across Essex. Their vision was to create an exclusive directory of salons across Essex whereby consumers could find a salon, therapist or hairdresser and be confident in their choice due to public star ratings. However, this was not just a ‘Trip Advisor like’ website, they also want to be the emergency service of the beauty industry across the county and with this goal in mind have expanded into recruitment for both employers and employees, gift vouchers which can be used in any of their salons listed, special offers only available through the website, consultancy to help businesses that may be suffering and they even have in mind an EBG shop for local businesses selling their own products. For their clients they’re offering 6 months free then just £12.95 a month joining fee.

I have met with the girls several times and have to say I genuinely admire them. Both are completely different in personality, Gemma comes across as quiet and unassuming but beneath that gentle exterior is without a doubt a steely determination to succeed, driven furthermore by the sad, recent passing of her father. She’s also incredibly focused and whilst softly spoken her chosen words are relative and precise. A nail technician by trade she eventually went to work on cruise ships (anyone in the beauty sector will know to work on cruise ships you have to be 5 star trained), however, she grew increasingly frustrated with the lack of quality with salons she had used personally. With this in mind she came up with the idea for EBG and told me with genuine charm she wants to help others, EBG are not there to ‘own’ salons far from it their aim is to help them succeed by way of advertising and consultancy.  By contrast to Gemma’s quiet personality is Nesha and whilst also a highly skilled therapist, her chatty and vivacious nature has led her to a role she thrives on selling top skincare products to salons.  Gemma maybe the face of EBG but Nesha’s experience in the sales industry and confident personality compliments her cousin and between the two of them they’re a driving force to be reckoned with.

For the launch party there was only one place in Essex that could host such a glamorous beauty event – The Sugar Hut, Brentwood.  I was savvy enough to ask top makeup-artist Vivienne Shepherd (ex-BBC), if she could apply her skills and transform me into ‘natural glam’, which not only did she perform miracles, she also roped in Carly Saunders hairdresser connoisseur who replaced my fine, limp hair with masses of volume (hair extension free, I might add). I chose well as everyone had made an effort and a great night of entertainment was laid on from candy cane sweets, scrummy cupcakes to the childish fun of photo booth. Beauty trade chit-chat was rife and I certainly made the most of it as I flitted and chatted to as many as possible, however, age got the better of me and I reluctantly went home – not without a fab goody bag though!

Gemma had previously asked my opinion of whether I think EGB will be a success and I truthfully answered yes. It’s not the fact that everyone I spoke to at the launch were eager to sign up but more to do with the founders. They have something rare in this industry – honesty and whilst I wish them luck I really don’t think they’ll need it.  Gemma’s dad would be so proud -  in a nutshell they’ve struck gold!

For bookings with Vivienne Shepherd (www.viviennemakeup.co.uk – tel: 07796 172021), Carly Saunders (www.extendmybeauty.co.uk – tel: 07875 080649).  Visit www.essexbeautygroup.com for details of your local salons, ratings, recruitment and vouchers!

If you are interested in a feature please contact molly@askmollybeauty.com or via Twitter @askmollybeauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment