Wednesday 24 August 2016

The Best of British Beauty Brands



It seems a while back now that the frenzy of the EU Referendum had us all ruffling our feathers, so to speak. Regardless of what you or I voted, I have always supported our local shops and businesses, as it’s imperative to keep our trade growing. I’ve been lucky enough to meet some wonderful entrepreneurs who’ve taking a thought, and with dedication, passion and patience have produced some of the finest products, and most importantly manufactured from the UK.

This week I want to share with you some of these creators and brands, as not only do they help our trade, but also the products themselves truly work.  I have to point out that I am not endorsed in any way to promote the brands I feature, they are simply brands that have been sent to me and I’ve tested and loved.

Deborah Mitchell, Founder of Heaven Skincare, www.heavenskincare.co.uk

I met Deborah a few years ago, when she was showcasing some new products at a launch in Regent Street. I was struck by her down to earth mannerism, huge beaming smiling and the fact her skin looked so darn good, and self-promotion at it’s best.  The other thing that I noted was the audience that had taken time out to visit her, musicians, actresses and top journalists. 
Deborah first started out as a therapist at the age of 18.  Not content with the quality of ingredients found in products, she set about sourcing the best, natural, active ingredients to help with healing skin complaints and as a result Heaven Skincare was born. Since 1995 the brand is now one of the most reputable skincare lines on the market, winning several top awards, being stocked in hotels all over the world and soon to be on Singapore Airlines.  Such is Deborah’s demand for her own personal time, that there is a 2-year waiting list!
Her most successful and original creation is the patented bee-venom ingredient Abeetoxin.  It answers to those who want Botox without the injections. It’s in my bathroom cabinet and I often use it to plump out my lines, especially before and after a night out.

Elijah Choo, Founder of Bodhi & Birch, Www.bodhiandbirch.com

When I tweeted about #AsianFlush, the inability to digest alcohol, I was introduced to Elijah Choo, and I’m so glad I did tweet as I discovered the wonderful, organic aromas of his products.
Elijah came to England from Singapore in 1997 whereby he set upon restoring a farmhouse in Worcestershire. The hard, continuous work on his hands caused his skin to dry out, and so, with his extensive travel experience to far-flung countries and knowledge of ingredients, he set about producing treatments, using plants from his garden. As fate dictates, from this the holistic and botanical skincare line was produced.  
The latest oil blends together a combination of rose, neroli, strawberry and argan oils and the result is Desert Rose Rejuvenating Facial Oil, utter bliss.

Catkin Wemyss Bodmer, Founder of BRYT Skincare, www.brytskincare.co.uk

I tested this brand around a year ago and have run out of the products! Joking aside, when Waitrose start stocking a brand just after it’s launched, then you know it’s going to be a huge success! I also have some admiration for a mother of three, who see’s a vision and goes for it!
The products themselves are all ethically sourced and their USP is promoting skincare as part of a ‘healthy lifestyle choice’. As an animal lover, I am encouraged to hear that not only do they not test on animals, but will not trade with any countries where animal testing is accepted.
Their skincare regime is based around cleansing, nourishing and protecting using a formulation containing extracts from organic fruits, Comfrey roots and Aloe Vera. Together these help to naturally regenerate soothe and protect the skin. The Night Cream is divine, and instantly puts you in the mood for sleep with essential oils of Rose Absolute and Lavender.

Barry Mero, Founder of Barry M Cosmetics www.barrym.co.uk

It’s with great fondness that Barry M has remained faithful to their roots of the UK.  Purely because whilst their products adorn the major high street retailers, there was a time when they used a representative to visit stockists. I should know, my mum was the first to stock Barry M in her shop around 20 years ago, and I’ll never forget the excitement of the rep coming to our house with her briefcase full of goodies!
The range has obviously grown from glistening pots of Natural Dazzle (still my favourite bronzer), and has produced many best sellers including their amazing Strobe Creams and Chisel Cheeks Contour Creams. They also lead the way with their amazing collections of glitter nail paints, and I use them as an excuse for not growing up!

Dr Patrick Bowler, Founder of Vitage, www.vitage.co.uk

Founding member and Fellow of the British College of Aesthetic Medicine, Dr Patrick Bowler (and previous GP in Brentwood, Essex), formulated Vitage in 1998.  It’s one of the first antioxidant ranges on the market and set a precedent for many brands we see now.

Now distributed by Skinbrands, the aim is to target customers who want a salon treatment, using top professional grade ingredients but one that they can do at home.  The range treats every skin type and complaint, using vitamins, plant extracts and fruit acids.  The newly launched CO2 Micro Peel Steps 1 & 2 is a system that gives a gentle peel, revealing revitalized and a radiant complexion. The mineral make-up range they offer is beautiful, having tested it a couple of years ago it remains one of my favourites today.

For beauty/lifestyle queries contact Molly@askmollybeauty.com





1 comment: