Sunday 24 April 2016

Plantar Fasciitis / Tried and Tested products to help Runners Heel/Marathon/Choose Correct Shoes


There are some childhood memories that stick with us as adults for all the wrong reasons.  I don’t think my PE teacher realised the impact of her words, when at the age of 5 I was demanded in front of the whole class to ‘straighten my toes correctly’.  I can still feel that mortifying moment as my cheeks reddened and I said ‘but Miss this is how my feet look’.  Of course after telling my mother she frog-marched me (no pun I walk like a frog), straight to a Podiatrist who took one look at my bent toes and said something along the lines of “I’m afraid Molly has what we call Hammer toes.  Her only option is to have her feet broken and reset, her little toes amputated or to wear excellent supportive shoes for the rest of her life”. 

To be fair I was just so happy my mother wasn’t going to have my Shrek feet set upon, that I didn’t really think of how this would affect me later on in life.  Well let me tell you dear readers it has. Aside from the fact I have spent my life disguising my toes in closed sandals (I won’t go near flip flops), wouldn’t dream of the opposite sex even glimpsing at them, I have also suffered a great deal of inflammatory pain.

Now though is the time where I may get some empathy. As the weather warms up, we tend to walk more and of course there is the London Marathon. This is the time when toenails drop off and I hear many stories of Plantar Fasciitis an inflammatory foot condition that I too suffer from.



There is one thing we can all do to help ourselves with foot pain and it starts with choosing the correct walking shoes.  Dave Wain, Podiatrist at Carnation Footcare (www.carnationfootcare.co.uk) gives these tips when choosing shoes.

1) Look for a low, supportive heel that rounds (or bevels) in. A thick heel or one that flares out will cause your foot to slap down rather than roll. This slows down forward motion and increases the occurrence of sore shins.

2) A walker's foot hits heel first and then rolls gradually from heel-to-toe. So, you will need a flexible sole and more bend in the toe than a runner. You should be able to twist and bend the toe area.

3) Look for a shoe that is lightweight and breathable.

4) Be sure your foot has enough room in the toe box. There should be a thumbnails width (or about a half inch) between your toes and the end of the shoe. The shoe should be wide enough in the toe that your toes can move freely. Your heel should not slip, and the shoe should not pinch or bind, especially across the arch or ball of your foot.

5) Go shoe shopping at the end of the day when your feet may be slightly swollen. Also be sure to wear the same socks you will be wearing during your walks. Try on both shoes. Your feet may not be the same size (really!).

6) Keep track of how many miles you have put on your shoes, and replace them every 300 to 600 miles. (If you are wearing very lightweight shoes, are overweight, or you are hard on your shoes stay toward the low end on mileage.) To extend the life of your shoes be sure to only wear them only for your walks.

I’ve been gladly testing products this week and here’s my recommendations:-

Carnation PediRoller £9.48 www.carnationfootcare.co.uk

I was using a frozen golf ball to alleviate the pain of my Plantar Fasciitis, until this little gem landed through the post. Just used for a few minutes a day has relieved the burning, throbbing pain that I regularly get just from walking. Ideal for anyone with arch pain or those who do a lot of walking, running or simply have tired feet.

OOFOS Recovery Shoes RRP £40 www.oofos.co.uk

Recommended for recovery after long runs, especially if you’ve undertaken a marathon, these flip-flops are designed to give a faster recovery time.  The design reduces stress on sore feet, knees and back, have more cushioning than foam and help invigorate tired, stressed out soles. With a variety of colours to choose from these are ideal for men and women.

What Skin Needs Cracked Skin Cream £12.99 www.whatskinneeds.co.uk

When we think of just how much time we spend on our feet, and what we put them through it’s crazy that we don’t give them the attention they deserve.  This intensive skin solution helps heal rough damaged skin and smells divine.  I applied it before bed, put cottons socks on and woke up with baby soft feet.

Carnation Silver Sock £7.95 www.firstaidfast.couk

I’m passionate about the uses of silver after having my MRSA wound dressed daily with a silver dressing. These specially designed socks have a ton of multi-uses and can help those suffering from Diabetes, Chilblains and any type of fungal infection.

PowerStep Fashion Orthotics £39.91 www.firstaidfast.co.uk

Ideal for fashion shoes, such as high heels, wedges and pumps. The slim design with extra support for the arch and heel, extra cushioning under the ball of the foot is pure comfort for the soles and a must on a night out!

Carnation Anti-Blister Stick £3.99 www.carnationfootcare.co.uk

Stop blisters from forming before they’ve had a chance to ruin a night out.  This ingenious stick is small enough to carry in your handbag and immediately eases friction, whilst providing an extra layer of protection to the affected area.


For Beauty/Lifestyle queries please contact Molly at askmollybeauty@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment