Sunday 24 April 2016

Spring Hair 2016

As the sun starts to make an appearance so does my desire for all things light, and so I decided this week I wanted to go blonder. I took a visit to Foureighty, a hair salon in Shenfield where I booked in with Chrissie, Senior Colour Technician. 

I had in mind my usual foil ‘Jennifer Aniston, caramels’, but after much discussion, Chrissie managed to persuade me to have a change. Upon studying my complexion, face shape and the way my hair fell she set upon weaving ‘biscuit tones’ throughout my strands.  

Now I’m an honest Beauty Ed and when I looked into the mirror I wasn’t too sure, it was different from my usual highlights and I craved the security of ‘blending in’.  My hair had been left darker on top and lighter throughout, so not a uniformed streak in sight. However, with ongoing compliments to ‘which salon as I want this done’, ‘you look 35’ (I’m nearly 44) and ‘it really makes you look tanned’, I am now loving it. I was definitely stuck in a rut before and now I belong to the trendy ‘Zara Brigade’.  It has a European feel (the sun kissed streaks) and has brought out my olive skin tone. Best of all the clever placement of colour means no root regrowth (saved pennies), minimal damage to the hair and the individual contouring of colour has slimmed down my chubby chop cheeks!



I grilled Matt Bolton, the owner of Foureighty on up and coming trends for spring.

What trends are in for spring colour?

As we leave the winter behind thoughts turn to warmer spring and summer days and colour trends always tend to go lighter; sun kissed highlights and a gradual build to the lighter end of the colour spectrum are always popular.

Do you have any tips from going dark to lighter?

A gradual move is always preferable; layering of highlights in the hair over a few sessions is much better for hair condition.  A sharp jump up of a few shades can cause damage to hair and really dry it out especially if using pre-lightener.  Utilising high lift tint can be much kinder to the hair and also not such a huge shock to the system.

We hear about Balayage/Ecaille/Ombre – what’s the difference?

In recent times there have been many strap lines for colour; Balayage/Ecaille/Ombre etc.  These basically boil down to one thing, creative colour.  Your colour technician uses their skill and eye to “place” colour strategically into the hair to achieve the desired look.  This technique requires real skill and only comes with time and experience, in other words don't try this at home!

Are there any 'rules' when it comes to choosing colour?

Colour should always be chosen according to your skin tone, your colour technician would be able to identify this and suggest accordingly.

What hair styles/cuts are in for spring? 

The bob is really flying high at the moment, it’s a true classic and completely timeless, so whether you go for a graduation or a classic Bob, the affect is always the same;

Is there any colour or style that ages the complexion?

There’s a popular adage for women that when you get to a certain age you have to have your hair cut short - I think this is rubbish, the most important thing about a haircut is that it has to suit you! Be careful when going darker as if the colour used is too dark it can “wash you out” and make you appear pale.

Okay, how do I knock a few years off?

A lot of people can get hung up on hair that is perfectly coiffured and “just so”.  Hair in itself is a transient and movable substance, having that perfect blow dry is ace until you step out in the wind and it gets blown to bits! 

A really strong shape cut into the hair ensures this and also that the haircut grows out well.  The sign of a really good haircut is how it is performing five or even six weeks after it’s been cut.

What are the trends for men hair cuts and/or colour?

Clean and tight short back and sides, fading up to a longer more textured look through the top is still exceptionally popular with the chaps, although early signs are hinting at a possible return to length in gents hair.  Colour for the gents is distinctly lacking at the moment as the current trend for grey hair continues in popularity.

Contact Foureighty on 01277 500 190 or visit their website www.foureighty.net.

Check out the following products to keep your hair tiptop!

Montibello Hair Products prices from £11.95 www.montibello.com

This Spanish hair brand has just launched a new range covering a whole host of hair types from dry, fragile, colour-treated, scalp issues to hair loss.  I tested the Densi Volume range to give my locks some oomph as I often find serums can weigh my hair down, and I’m pleased to report back that not only did my hair look thicker, it felt healthier and smelt amazing too!



Braun Satin Hair 7 Brush £28.99 Amazon

Put a brush through my wavy, processed hair and it turns to frizz unless has a heap load of serum, which in turn makes it look greasy.  Well this brush has solved my hair dilemmas.  Battery operated, this brush on contact with the hair releases ionic technology, a process that distributes millions of ions to boost shine and condition. Imagine a serum and brush in one – this clever gadget gives just that!

Glamoriser Salon Results Curl Wand £49.99 Boots

For the final photo, Chrissie used a large barrel wand to style my hair, which was refreshing, as quite frankly I’ve never learnt how to ribbon curl my hair with straighteners. This wand heats up fast (20 seconds) and as it’s infused with oil, leaves my hair shiny and full of gorgeous curls.

Diva Feel the Heat 45mm Tong £39.98 www.sallyexpress.com

For the ultimate in huge, glamorous bouncy curls these tongs are a must. With a whopping 45mm circumference they give volume and bounce to rival BeyoncĂ©’s mane. The motorized unit makes them easy to use without snagging and the barrel is infused with Argan Oil to keep hair looking glossy.



For beauty/lifestyle queries contact Molly at molly@askmollybeauty.com

1 comment: