Thursday 9 January 2014

Interview with Top Make Up Artist Caroline Barnes - Max Factor




Last week I committed the ultimate beauty editor sin, something that I can honestly say I’ve never dreamt of doing - I went to bed without removing my make-up and it had nothing to do with the amount of cocktails I’d consumed that evening!  You see earlier that day I had my make-up applied by not just any make-up artist, no by The World Famous, Make Up Artist (MUA) Caroline Barnes, UK & Ireland Max Factor Ambassador whose skilful hands often grace Miss Kylie Minogue’s face!

Being in the beauty industry Caroline’s name has regularly cropped up, but I admit I did a quick google search to research her clients and it was this that had me ignoring my full blown cold as I made my way to Lakeside shopping centre on possibly the busiest shopping day of the year just before Christmas and in rush hour too. Caroline was at Boots for a meet and greet with The Face 2013 winner Emma Holmes whom is now the face of Max Factor.  Just to give you an idea Caroline’s work has appeared in Vogue, Harpers Bazaar, Tatler, Marie Claire and her celebrity clients include Prince, Kylie, Cheryl Cole, David Beckham, Girls Aloud the list is endless as are the top photographers such as Rankin who have photographed her work.  


I asked the lovely Max Factor PRs to pass on some questions to Caroline from the public (aka Facebook friends) and myself before the big day, thus enabling me to sell myself as her assistant should she ever need help on Kylie’s tours!   

Q. I wear glasses which make my eyes look bigger, the prescription is quite high which magnifies my eyes - any tips on how to apply make up for this prescription?

The best way to shrink you eye shape is to use a soft kohl pencil inside the waterline of your eyes. Define brows and keep eye shadow really natural and neutral, run the kohl black or dark brown pencil inside your eyes and finish off with mascara on your top and bottom lashes.  I hope you like the results!


Q. Is there a trick in applying liquid eyeliner?

Keep your skin tight when you apply to ensure you achieve a straight graphic line. Either stretch the skin of you lid or raise your brows for tension. Start with a fine thin line in the inner corner then fill out towards the centre of your lids then sweep out complimenting your eye shape.


Q. Who has been you're favourite celebrity to make up and why?

I worked with Kylie Minogue for almost 8 years, we travelled the world and I have wonderful memories of our times together. Miss Minogue is a very hard working, modest, talented artist and is still a constant inspiration to me.


Q. Which is your favourite make-up trick which makes the biggest difference?

 Blending a lighter foundation or concealer down the front panel of your face, this instantly wakes you up and brightens your skin.


Q. Can you give readers some insider tips on what's hot for SS2014?

Bold bright lips especially in fuchsia and hot corals - just keep the rest of your makeup fresh and natural to make it modern.


Q. What is your top anti-aging make-up tip?

Apply serum before foundation - it gives a young, hydrated finish to a dry or tired skin.

Q. If you could invent any one make-up product what would it be?

A foundation that perfects skin is super light and leaves skin radiant and lasts up to 12 hours.

Q. Which past make-up trend would you like to see come around again!

Most of the makeup which we wear has an essence of decades past but I guess it would be nice to see more creativity within main stream editorials and music that is reminiscent of the 80's. Adam Ant and Boy George fascinated me when I was young.

Q. Which Max Factor product do you love and why?

I have about 8 Colour Elixir Lipsticks in the shade Pink Brandy in my handbags, pockets and car. I adore this shade!

Q. Do you have a favourite photo-shoot?

Oh there have been many but I guess if I had to choose it would be my two Vogue covers with Naomi Campbell and Kylie Minogue. Every makeup artist aspires to work on at least one Vogue in their career.

Q. If you hadn’t been an MUA what would you have been and why? My dream would be a theatrical singer but I can’t sing. In reality a paramedic as I love anything to do with biology!

Q.  What advice would you give to MUA’s trying to make a name for themselves?

 Take every single job offered to you and live it for the first few years. Build up contacts, meet as many people as you can and look up references across decades, bank as much knowledge as possible.

Q. Who would you most like to work with?
I'm a huge Meryl Streep fan and I would be honoured to work with her, Cate Blanchett as she is a mum who works really hard and juggles a career or Beyonce!


Thank you Caroline for your time it was a pleasure to meet you, Emma and the girls from Ketchum PR – with just a few minutes you managed to turn a cold-ridden, shattered mum of two into someone who had cheekbones and looked like they’d had 8 hours sleep!

If you have any queries please contact me molly@askmollybeauty.com or follow Twitter @askmollybeauty.

2 comments:

  1. I do appreciate your valuable information. Its glad to read something informative like this. Love you work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete