Friday 22 July 2016

Keeping your cool this summer!

As I write weekly events usually happen quite near to publication, so when I mention the good old British weather my features kind of make sense. Last week saw a Jean Michel Jarre display of lightening, thunder that resulted in the dog and kids squish in my bed, and torrential rain that sprayed my walls with mud graffiti (hanging baskets). 

However, whilst I love a good storm I can put myself first on the list to say I detest humidity and it’s been humid!  There is nothing remotely nice about sweating and Lord knows with my hot flushes I suffer enough already.  Try twisting and putting a bra on, whilst rivets of sweat dribble from your neck sticking hair to your back. Having to breathe through your mouth as the aroma of onions from someone’s armpits on the tube kill your nostril hairs one by one. Unable to wear silk or satin unless you want it to look like one of those ‘Hypercolor’ rave shirts (yes I was a raver in the 80s).  Then of course there’s an influx of spots, frizzy hair and sliding makeup. All of this due to the air being saturated with more water – fun!

This week I’ve been testing some products to help combat the stressors of humidity and products that don’t need a weather forecast to dictate their use!

Summerdown Mint Bath Soak & Body Lotion prices from £5 www.summerdownmint.com

By the end of each day my legs feel swollen, I’m sweaty and sticky and so when the Summerdown products landed by my front door I couldn’t wait to test them.  As soon as I’d settled my youngest in front of Power Rangers, I retreated to my bathroom and poured a huge glug of this bath soak under running water.  The aroma of mint and lemongrass sent waves of relaxation through my mind, and as I lay down in the warm bath my jaw finally unclenched. It was the equivalent of getting into cool, cotton bed sheets – utter bliss.

Semilac Starter Kit £60  www.semilac.co.uk

This hybrid nail varnish combines gel, UV and nail varnish to give long-lasting and ultra shiny nails.  The Starter Kit contains everything to recreate the perfect salon manicure and is the perfect way to spend a rainy afternoon indoors.  I tested the kit and am happy to confirm that my varnish lasted a good 9 days before chipping and was shinier than my usual gel varnish.  There’s a huge choice of colours costing £8 a bottle, which is cheaper than most other gels on the market.

Clinique High Impact Waterproof Mascara £17.50 www.clinique.co.uk

The name says it all a one-stop product to solve all your eyelash dilemmas.  Just a couple of coats of this mascara, gives thicker, fuller lashes without a hint of panda eye.  This amazing mascara didn’t budge through my sweaty gym session, 20 laps of the pool and a walk in the rain with the dog! Brilliant.

Sachajuan Leave In Conditioner £22 www.cultbeauty.co.uk

Yes it is expensive, but if you suffer from hair that rebels in humidity then this is a must.  One pump of the spray mists hair with a combination of marine algae and mineral extracts, which finely coat the hair leaving it soft and creating a barrier to prevent frizz!

Noble Isle Perry Pear Shampoo £18  & Conditioner £20 www.nobleisle.com

‘Oh wow whatever you’re using in the shower next to me, it smells divine’, was the comment, whilst I was showering at the gym last week.  Well to be precise it’s a mixture of jasmine, rose, geranium and ‘orchard fruits from the Gloucester Orchards’. It left my straw-like hair feeling incredibly soft, clean and smelling of a summer’s day.

Skeyndor Aquatherm Cleansing Thermal Micellar Water £22 www.skeyndor.co.uk

Humidity can cause a breakout of pimples, due to dirt and grime getting stuck with sweat into our pores. It’s imperative to cleanse every day, especially in the evening.  This cleanser is suitable for all skin types, especially those who are too tired to remove their make-up after a long day at work or night out.  The naturally sourced French Thermal Water serves as a cleanser, toner and eye makeup remover. Simply soak a cleansing pad and wipe away all the tacky grime in one easy step.

Liz Earle Rose and Lavender Cleanse & Polish £15.50 www.lizearle.com

Not only does this remove every last trace of dirt, but also when used with the pure muslin cloth provided it gently removes dead skin cells leaving the skin feel soft and revitalised.  The naturally active rose and lavender instantly calms the mind, and is ideal for all types of skin especially congested with toning rosemary and soothing chamomile.

Rituals Good Karma Collection prices from £8.50 www.uk.rituals.com

This new limited collection from Rituals will want people nuzzling up to your armpits on the tube, not holding their breath.  The sweetness of White Lotus and revitalizing Bergamot, lingers softly on the skin, creating a gentle freshness.  The perfect prescription for ridding of anxiety, stress and leaving the mind with a sense of well-being.

Moa Green Bath Potion £27.50 www.moa.london

This is the ‘Jedi’ to fight against hot, sweaty and sticky skin. Just a small amount (the bottle will last ages) poured into your bath, relieves aching muscles, hot flushes and grumpiness!  Just 10 minutes of deep breathing, allow the vapours of peppermint, fir needle and fennel to re-charge your batteries.  It also cleared my muggy headache, which had been lurking by my temple all day. No wonder it received the award for ‘Best Bath Product 2016’ from Tatler magazine!


For beauty/lifestyle queries contact Molly@askmollybeauty.com

1 comment: